Be Still


It seems like the easiest thing to do, after all it's just doing nothing, right? And yet for so many it's often a struggle.

If I'm being honest, stillness kinda makes me squirm. I feel like I have so much to do and being still is a sort of a waste of time. I can just clean the house or edit photos while my mind is somewhat still and that'll do. Multitask the stillness, you know. 

There's 2 kinds of stillness really. One is a stillness that involves quieting yourself and slowing down enough to read, journal, yoga, etc. Then there's the stillness that is without doing anything at all...just sitting there listening, breathing, just being. Complete stillness of mind and body is so hard for me. My mind will race or my legs will be antsy, foot tapping. Stillness. I have not yet mastered this beautiful and life giving gift. 

I feel a call, a need right now in my life for stillness. I'm starting with 15 minutes a day and then 20 and so on. I'm not sure how long I'll let it get up to, but I already see the beauty in it, the strength, wisdom and centering it has brought to me. I think it's easy for me to carry on with life and numb out the deeper issues in my heart. The stillness makes them flood to the surface and be exposed there in the quiet. That's probably the reason why it's so hard for me to do. But I long for the depth and strength that it brings. I'm excited to quiet myself to hear God clearly in the stillness of my heart, mind & day. It's amazing what you will hear when you are still. Sometimes it's the simple and little things that make the most difference in life. I encourage you to spend a few moments this week in the stillness of mind and body and see just what unfolds.

Comments

Popular Posts